I agree.  I've been wanting to add to this discussion, and have been
thinking about how to do so.

We have a responsibility to provide materials that show as many sides
of an issue as possible.  For example, I did create a display for
Memorial Day.  It included materials about the holiday, various wars
and branches of the armed services, and materials about peace, peaceful
conflict resolution, and famous people who have worked for peace.  It's
important to show kids all of the ways there are to be patriotic and
serve one's country.

Respectfully submitted,
Robin

On Jun 3, 2005, at 8:55 AM, John Grainger wrote:

> There have been some good points made in this thread, but the issue
> remains that as librarians we are charged with providing the best
> information available to our constituents. [snip]  A military career
> is the right answer for some people, but those selecting it should
> realise the risks involved. A Library with a good selection policy
> should provide the information seeker with the right materials to
> enable our students to make the right decisions for them. I am not
> sure recruiters talk about the bad possibilities as much as they do
> the good posibilities.

Robin Shtulman
Librarian
Erving Elementary School