Hello,

        I wanted to let you know what kind of response I received although R. Jean
Gustafson would like to do a more formal inquiry.  [good idea]  I received about 15
with some of the smaller private or church schools.  Many times the catalog is
online, but cannot be viewed in other parts of the school or remotely.

        My hat is off to a librarian at a school for the deaf and blind.  She and
her aides put 8,000 items from her collection in to Microsoft Access so that the
collection could be searched with a computer. Jacquie Henry of Macedon, NY, said
that teaching card catalog skills was like teaching students how to use a buggy
whip.  Although an online catalog is preferable, I don't view practicing those
skills as being quite that primitive.  If you attain skill with a card catalog,
this means that you can read and comprehend words and language.  If you can do this
manually, making the transition to an online catalog will be relatively easy.

Ed Nizalowski, SMS
Newark Valley High School
Newark Valley, New York
enizalowski@nvcs.stier.org

"Any way you look at it, the more we expand libraries,
the less we'll expand prisons.  Thanks to my mom and
the Chicago Public Library, I'm a writer now."

Sandra Cisneros (author)