-----Original Message-----

Are any of your schools using wireless Dana computers that run Palm OS? They

seem like a nice solution for portable computing. Some folks think we should

only consider laptops, but I worry that those get stolen so frequently and

aren't very durable. I'd appreciate comments from anyone with experience and

will compile a HIT to share with the list. I am in a K-6 school.

Our school has had good results with the older Alphasmart non PalmOS models
specifically for writing.

I own an original Dana and we field tested a wireless unit when they were
introduced. I am not particularly impressed with either.  Both use the older
Palm OS.  The wireless Dana was a slug. It was very slow.  Web use is
difficult due to the small display size, lack of color, and the older Palm
OS.  Many web sites do not work well because incompatibilities with the Palm
browser and plug-in issues.

I have not looked to see if changes have been made since then.  The company
does send units out for testing, so this might be a good way to see if the
Dana will fit the niche at your school.