From: Shonda Brisco <sbrisco@FWCDS.ORG>
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] Addicted to War - - Collection balance
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 08:25:22 -0500

The collection balance issue was what I first responded to when the original
message was posted.  My comments related to making sure that both sides of
the issue were given equal treatment in the library --- to provide for all
students, the opportunity to investigate the issues, to learn the positive
and negative points involved, and to make good choices for themselves.  As
librarians, our role would be to help them locate the information and to
share the information with them, regardless of their view of the issue or
our own personal stance.

In regard to providing space in the library for military personnel to
recruit, I also feel that (just as in a public library situation), if you
provide the college recruiters the opportunity to set-up a college and
career day for those planning to attend college, the same space should be
provided to the military who want to recruit students who want to join the
service.

While public libraries and school libraries are quite different, the
school's policy (and the library's policy) should reflect an equal treatment
(and space) to those who ask for it--- or provide within the library's
policy and procedures manual, the statement that NO soliciting of any type
will take place in the library.  Then if the school chooses to place college
career day / military recruiting in the gymnasium for students as special
events, the library remains as a "neutral ground" rather than a "battle
ground."

Just an opinion.

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian