From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Ann Marie Gordon
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 3:56 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] Separate Shelving for Series?

I think it's fine to pull out popular series books.  After years of
pointlessly shelving the "Magic Tree House" and the "Henry and Mudge"
books--pointless because they were pulled from the shelf for check-out
within minutes--I now "shelve" them in a bin on a table.  You can
circumvent the "junk food" problem by occasionally changing the books.
Put Animal Ark back on the shelf, and pull out Judy Moody.  Put away
Secrets of Droon, and pull out and display all the Roald Dahl books.

Anne-Marie Gordon, Librarian
Livonia Primary School
Livonia, NY
agordon@livoniacsd.org
http://www.livoniacsd.org/primaryschool/gordon/index.htm

The Three Rules of the Librarians of Time and Space are: 1) Silence; 2)
books must be returned no later than the last date shown; and 3) Do not
interfere with the nature of causality.
--Terry Pratchett, "Guards! Guards!"
>>> Mary Clark <mclark@SMUSD.ORG> 06/29/05 4:12 PM >>>wrote:
 I was given a large 4 sided bookcase, and was thinking of pulling some
of the more popular series books and putting them there...Will I create
a ghetto of "junk food" reading? (my professor's description, not
mine!)...