One more and it is a good one - Doug

________________

Doug,
This is in response to your inquiry in LM Net about cafes in media centers.
Last year my school won a $25,000 grant from our district to open a cafe in
our media center. We call it the Beans, Books and Brains Cafe and use a
conference room connected to the media center. I have to give most of the
credit to our Business Department head who sought out a partnership with
Barnie's Coffee. They were remodeling a store and sold us their old
furnishings at quite a discount. They also sold us the coffee machines and
machines to make freezes. (Our most difficult task was running water into
the cafe. Our county gave us trouble about redoing some plumbing!) Best of
all, they took our students and trained them so that they are trained
exactly like regular Barnie's employees. The CEO of Barnie's Coffee
International came to the grand opening and gave us a check for $5,000 to
purchase paperbacks for the cafe.

Kids work in the cafe before school and during all three of our lunches. The
kids have been to Barnie's corporate offices and one of our accounting
students keeps the books, rolling the profits over for more product to run
the cafe. My favorite part, of course, is that we have book racks where kids
can exchange paperbacks. We also have newspaper and magazine racks that kids
can peruse. We recently won a Teacherrific Award for this project (a Disney
Award given for innovative programs in the counties surrounding Disneyworld)
and hope to use it for a grant from ALA for innovative programs. This
collaboration between the library media center and the business department
has been so positive. It has been great getting to know the kids working
there and meeting kids who usually do not frequent the media center.

Next time you are in Orlando (I came to one of your sessions at FETC) stop
by and see us.

Timber Creek High School
1001 Avalon Park Blvd
Orlando, FL 32828
321-235-7808

_____________________

Doug Johnson
Director of Media and Technology
Mankato Area Public Schools
Box 8713, 1351 S Riverfront Dr.
Mankato MN 56001-8714
507-387-7698 x 473
dougj@doug-johnson.com
www.doug-johnson.com

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments
that take our breath away." -- George Carlin