Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my query regarding
Video Distribution Systems.  Below are the results I received.

Video Distribution Systems.

1. Do you need to use especially purchased videos?
                 -No; /
         -No, regular videos work just fine.  DVDs work also.  This
year, I also replaced one of my VCRs with a DVD/VCR combo.;
        -No; /
Do the Fair Use Guidelines allow use of videos being used in the
classroom to be aired on the system?
        -YES, fair use guidelines can still be followed using the syste;
/
        -Yes, Fair Use applies to video distribution; /
                -Fair Use Guidelines Follow... We don't use videos as a
reward...deal with our curriculum only;
         -As far as I know it is okay to show within the building.
        -I'm not sure what you mean.  We have 4 vcrs in the library
that, when played, can be viewed from the TVs in the classroom?  We call
it a Media Retrieval System.  Is this the same thing?  IF so, there
can't possibly be any copyright issue unless you are showing something
that isn't related to a currently taught lesson.  For instance, I will
show a geology video to all of 4th grade when they are covering that
unit.  Or we might show a Hanukkah, or other winter holiday video to the
whole school in December when they are learning about multicultural
holidays.

2.   How has your district or school used a Video Distribution System
and do you think it is worth it?
        -Most schools in Howard County have their own individual video
distribution system; /
        -We play our morning announcements through the video distributor
each morning.  Also, purchasing VCRs/DVD players for each classroom
isn't necessary with the video distributor.  (Some of our teachers have
purchased VCRs for the sake of convenience- and probably to get around
my strict adherence to the fair use guidelines - but the school doesn't
maintain or replace those units.); /
        -We use the Dukane Smart System. I have been at this school for
two years and I would be just as happy with an RF modulator... able to
project to a specific channel and do closed circuit TV. Our system cost
approximately $100,000. We have a panel of 12 VCRS, 2 DVD's and 2 laser
discs. The teachers program what videos etc... they want to
watch in their computer.. we are responsible for putting the video in
and
readying it for play. We also have to get the video to the proper
starting
place if more than one show is on the tape. (very time consuming.) Most
of the schools in our district are now equipped with the smart system.
We have a separate room for the system.; /
        -It took some time for the teachers to buy into it; some faculty
members still want their own tv and vcr/dvd player but by and large it
has worked well once all the kinks were eliminated.
        -My school is small, only about 400 in grades 2-5.   We have
only 3 VCR and 3 small monitors, but use only 2 of the spaces.   You use
regular videos and same rules apply as anywhere else.    I also have 3
carts with vcr's and tv's so we have extra ones on busy days and in case
someone wants to stop the film and discuss the contents.
        -The teachers call from their rooms when they're ready to start
and call to stop it if they need to for recess, and then call again to
start it up again.  Occasionally it gets a little wild if they all want
a video at the same time or at overlapping times.   That doesn't happen
too often and there are always the carts if it's gets too bad.   The
teachers hated it at first, and would probably still rather have their
own vcr/dvd players,  but they use it all the time, so they must have
adjusted.
        -The teachers call from their rooms when they're ready to start
and call to stop it if they need to for recess, and then call again to
start it up again.  Occasionally it gets a little wild if they all want
a video at the same time or at overlapping times.   That doesn't happen
too often and there are always the carts if it's gets too bad.   The
teachers hated it at first, and would probably still rather have their
own vcr/dvd players,  but they use it all the time, so they must have
adjusted.
        -My issue is that I can't get the system fixed anymore.  The
company is out of business and our technology department won't support
it because they're pushing video streaming.  That's fine, but I still
have close to 800 videos and continue to buy more and they are used; /
        -The high school I was formerly at had a Video Distribution
System, purchased before I arrived there on the recommendation of the
previous librarian.  It was a colossal waste of money and time.  It was
rarely used since it was so cumbersome to coordinate with the teachers
when to start and stop a video. It may have worked better if there had
been phones in the classrooms.  For instance, if the biology teacher at
the other end of the school wanted to show a video, he would have to
send a student to the library to ask us to start the video and a student
would return when the teacher wanted to end the video.  It was virtually
impossible to show just a small part to illustrate a point.  It was so
unused, I began to dismantle it and put the various VCRs on carts and
allowed some teachers to "permanently store" a vcr in their classroom.
Our money would have been better spent buying each classroom a vcr to
pair with the TV they already had.

3.       Have you had to hire an additional person or people to operate
the system?
        -NO - in our case our media secretary (high school level)
normally takes care of its operation.  It does take time, however -
normally in the morning to get ready to go; / /
        -No, an extra person isn't necessary.  Although occassionally I
do feel like I need an extra arm.  When my aide isn't in the library and
I have a class and it's time to put in the video - well, you can
imagine.  But this doesn't happen often.  We ask teachers to notify us
three days before so we can get them on the schedule.  Sometimes they
forget, but knowing ahead of time is helpful - especially if I know I'm
going to be short-handed.  You can always train an older student - it's
really just like popping a VHS tape in any other VCR.  The only
difference is this showing is broadcast to multiple locations; /
        -It would be very time consuming for only one person to keep
this up and going. I would highly recommend adding staff.; /
        -We hire an additional person-you need to
        -My aide and I operate it.
 Does it work best at the building level or district level?
        -Building; /
        -I cannot imagine doing this at the system level.  I think this
is a building level "thing."; /
        -At the district level... absolutely necessary.. I would think;
/
        -We are using it only in one building, a high school of 2100
students.

gcurdy@mcps.k12.mt.us

Gloria Curdy
K-12 Library Media Program Coordinator
Missoula County Public Schools
215 S. 6th St W.
Missoula, MT 59801
(406)728-2400 ext. 1062

"The Internet may be the world's greatest library,
but let's face it: all the books are scattered on
the floor."   --D.C.Denison
Notice:  This e-mail may contain confidential information belonging to the sender
which is privileged.  The information is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any
action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, delete it without copying it and
immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail.  Thank you.
<<<< GWAVASIG >>>>