For this particular novel perhaps you could develop topics that relate to
the time and events that took place when this novel was set and have the
students tie these events into the novel or author somehow.  I think it is
important to understanding setting and place in time and how that affects
a writer or the story itself.  Or maybe a student could research which
other books might be companions to or extensions of To Kill a Mockingbird.
 Sort of a reader's advisory on the major themes of the book.  For
example, The Year the Colored Sisters Came to Town and The Secret Life of
Bees.

   The students could develop an annotated bibliography or webliography
based on something (symbolism, themes) from the book, from rabies to
mockingbirds to civil rights to mental health.

my 2 cents!  Lisa
Joanne Taylor <jtaylor@ELGINISD.NET> on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 at 11:11
AM -0600 wrote:
>I just had another teacher pop in who now needs help developing a
>research paper for To Kill a Mockingbird. I hope you all can help with
>this one too. I am having problems with LM_NET right now but I have
>alerted my Techno Wizard and hopefully I'll get my LM_NET back real
>soon. If you have an idea to share with, please email me not LM_NET
>until I get this fixed.
>
>This is the 1st year that the English Teachers here have decided to do
>their class research papers on a novel and it is just eating our lunch.
>Any ideas for TKM or The Lord of the Flies will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks and hopefully I'll have LM_NET back by tomorrow.
>

>Joanne Taylor/ Librarian
>Elgin High Library, Elgin, Texas
>jtaylor@elginisd.net

>All LM_NET postings are protected by copyright law.
>To change your LM_NET status, e-mail to: listserv@listserv.syr.edu
>In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET  2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
>3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow for confirmation.
>LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://elann.biglist.com/el-announce/
>LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html