Hello friends,

At a meeting last week, I was given a document released by the Ontario Ministry of
Education in December 2004.  It is entitled Literacy for Learning - The Report of
the Expert Panel on Literacy in Grades 4 to 6 in Ontario, and it makes some
positive references to the importance of school libraries to student literacy, and
even has a chapter sub-heading on school libraries.  (The counterpart report for
grades K-3, published in 2003, made a couple references to teacher-librarians as
one of many who may be involved in a school, but made no reference to the role of
the school library in supporting literacy and/or reading).  It seems sad that I
should be excited about seeing school libraries mentioned in a literacy report - to
me it is so obvious that school libraries play an important role in literacy...  Oh
well, it is good to have school libraries mentioned!
http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/document/reports/literacy/panel/

Lou Murray Gorvett
Library Technician
Canadian Martyrs Elementary School