         I would highly recommend these two books:
Lyga, Allyson and Barry Lyga. Graphic Novels in Your Media Center: A
Definitive Guide. Libraries Unlimited, 2004.

McCloud, Scott. Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art. Kitchen Sink
Press, 1994.

The first is a selection guide (with some discussion of the medium in
media centers), and the second explains why comics are different than any
other art form.  So obviously, the second is less directly related to
your research, but I think it is very helpful in understanding the comics
medium, which has a long, embarrassing history of censorship.  I would
also be interested in reading your paper when you are finished with it.
Good luck!

          Best wishes,

           Michael Furlong
           Florida State University