I purchased some coils that had an adhesive end -- can't rememeber what company --
but it was probably Highsmith --
anyway - fastened the end to a block of wood and kept these in a small basket each
 I had calculators, scissors, staplers,
Each basket had a picture of an item on it -
at the end of the period - it was easy to count the baskets and take a quick look -
I kept the baskets on a table near the circulation desk --
i never lost any
paula'

Barb Engvall <macbarb@CHARTER.NET> wrote:
We tied a small horse shoe to a pencil QUITE a number of years
ago...and that pencil is STILL there! It is really SHORT now...but we
haven't lost it yet! Maybe we should try the same thing on the scissors
we keep by the laminator!!! ;-)

BTW... we only used a string!!! Don't know if it would work with with
the other things... attaching a string to a stapler might be a bit
difficult. The 3-hole punch should work, though! Leave them on an
'open' desk or counter for use and they should stay there!!

Barb Engvall
=^..^=

Teacher-Librarian
John Campbell Elem
Selah, WA
macbarb@charter.net
http://www.selah.k12.wa.us/JC/jc.cfm

On Mar 3, 2005, at 7:52 AM, Dawn Sardes wrote:

> Does anyone have a source for a stapler and three hole punch that has
> a chain attached to prevent theft? You know, sort of like how you
> can't just walk off with bank pens.
>
> I have seen this done (of course, i can't remember where), so it MUST
> exist somewhere.
>
> We no longer keep these items at our public desks because of the theft
> problem, but I would like to be able to have them in my Ya area for my
> kids (the kids, BTW, always make a point of returning things--it's the
> adults who are the problem).
>
> Just last week, a lady asked me if she could use our stapler, and I
> explained that due to theft, we no longer keep one at the desk.
>
> Five minutes later, she approaches my co-worker, who was sitting right
> next to me and says, "She told me you no longer have a stapler I could
> use. Is that true?"
>
> I felt like saying, "Right, Lady, I woke up this morning determined to
> deny you use of a stapler. In fact, keeping you from a stapler has
> been my life-long ambition. I can now die happy."
>
> As that great philosopher, Charlie Brown, said, "Good Grief."
>
> Dawn M. Sardes
> Teen Services Librarian
> Euclid Public Library
> Euclid, OH
> dawn511@adelphia.net

> All LM_NET postings are protected by copyright law.
> In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
> 3) SET LM_NET MAIL 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST * Allow for confirmation.
> LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
> Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
> EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://elann.biglist.com/el-announce/
> LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html

In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
3) SET LM_NET MAIL 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST * Allow for confirmation.

Paula Yohe
Director Of Technology/Library Media Center
Dillon School District Two
405 West Washington Street
Dillon, SC 29536
Phone: 843-841-3604 Fax:843-774-1214