I agreed to pass this on to the listserv. If you are concerned about the closure of
the
libraries in Salinas, you are welcome to join a "Read-In" at Cesar Chavez Library
on April
2nd and 3rd. All details below, including a sign-up form. All responses go to:
Deanne Gwinn
salistas11@hotmail.com. Please don't send them to me - Deanne is coordinating the
event.

Deanne Gwinn salistas11@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi Gail,
>
>Bob told me he talked to you about the April 2 - 3 read-in at the Cesar
>Chavez library.
>
>We will be meeting on this issue tomorrow, Saturday March 5, starting at
>9:00 a.m. at  95 San Clemente for about 30 minutes, then transfer  to the
>firehouse at 1330 EAST Alisal (close to Sanborn) to attend a 10:00 meeting
>with the Save Salinas Libraries group.  You’re welcome to attend if you can.
>
>Bob said that you are willing to forward information to your librarians'
>listserves. Thank you.  Below is the endorsement form that we are sending
>out.  Deanne
>
>24-Hour Read-In Endorsement Form
>
>Organization, Agency,
>or Company Name:
>
>Address:
>
>Email:
>
>Phone #:
>
>Contact Person:
>
>We plan to bring _____ participants. We will____/will not_____ be staying
>overnight.
>_____ We are willing to read or perform (specify, if possible)
>_____ We need help organizing carpooling from __________
>______We are available for volunteering prior to April 2nd
>Please return to: Salinas Action League, 2 Walker Ct., Soledad CA 93960
>Email: salistas11@hotmail.com or politics@redshift.com
>Join an Historic 24-Hour Emergency Read-In
>* Save the Salinas Public Libraries
>* Celebrate Your Love of Books
>Saturday, April 2nd, 1:00p.m.
>to Sunday, April 3rd, 1:00p.m.
>at Cesar Chavez Public Library, Salinas
>Then at 1:00 p.m. Sunday we will join festive Cesar Chavez Holiday
>Celebrations
>
>ALL of Salinas's public libraries are scheduled to SHUT DOWN  for lack of
>funds
>We MUST not and WILL not allow this to happen
>
>Libraries are the soul of our communities, providing vital services to
>all—especially the most low-income members and children. If we allow the
>Salinas libraries to close, we will see a wave of library closings
>throughout the country. We NEED YOU to help save our libraries!
>Join famous authors, poets, elected officials, community folks and book
>lovers from all over the state
>for a 24-hour celebration of reading and literacy, starting at 1pm on
>Saturday, April 2nd and culminating
>on Sunday, April 3 with the yearly Cesar Chavez Holiday march and cultural
>celebration in Salinas.
>Bring your family, your sleeping bag, and your favorite books!!!
>
>We will be calling on Governor Schwarzenegger and other state elected
>officials to find equitable solutions
>to pay for the operating costs of our libraries in poorer communities.
>
>Can we unite to keep Salinas libraries open?  Si, Se Puede! Yes, we can!
>
>Contact us for information on carpools, overnight accommodations, etc. Let
>us know you are coming.
>Find out how you can help. Email: sam@bayareacodepink.org, call 415-575-5555
> [...]

Gayle Hodur
District Librarian