I started a Sustained Silent Reading program last fall and it has worked
well.
Each study hall period gets one SSR period per week, scattered so they  do
not all fall on the same day.

What I have found most vital is that you do not make any allowance for
anything
else to take place in the media center during SSR.  (The exception to  this
is when teachers ask for the library for a collaborative lesson.  This  has
been
explained to the students up front so they are aware that SSR may  be
pre-empted for this).  There are students who ask if they can "just  type an
essay"
or read from a textbook, but that defeats the purpose of promoting the
reading
of freely chosen books.

Students are told that they must have a book in hand to come in for the  SSR
period.  There is no time given over to selecting a book during this  period.
(I have a flexible schedule, including being open before school, during
lunch,
and after school...there's no reason for any student not to have a book  ready
in advance).

Once SSR begins (five minutes into the period), no one else may enter  the
library.  I want the students who are taking advantage of SSR to be  aware
that
this time is totally protected for them.  Any faculty in the library  must
abide
by the same rules, and faculty and staff may only read a book as well  (no
newspapers, no chatting, including myself).  This models the value of  the
SSR.

Some students grumble when they have forgotten about
SSR that day and left another project until the last minute.  This is  also a
lesson in responsiblity, and a failure to plan on their part does not
constitute
a crisis on my part.

So far, so good.  The SSR readers LOVE it; the faculty supports it (I
notified
them, and asked for feedback, BEFORE starting it);
and the students who think of study hall as a pit stop
to finish a weeks-long project that they have put off for weeks
are learning to plan better.

Bottom line:

The library staff and faculty MUST participate in the reading.

Hold the line and do not allow the SSR boundaries to become fuzzy, or it  will
be all over.

Good luck!  It's worth every effort you will make.  I've had  kids who have
to force
themselves to read thank me for the opportunity of 35 minutes of  complete and
total silence.  But it's not just the silence...it's the perceived  value
that you are
placing on it that does the trick.

Steve

Steve  Patnode