I am currently dealing with a censorship issue regarding the Fearless
series by Francine Pascal.  We currently limit check-out of this series
to our grade 7-8 students.

A parent has protested that these are inappropriate for this age
level.   She has reported to the local newspaper that there are 95
"obscene" words, casual sex, "justified vandalism" etc. that make the
book inappropriate.  Petitions are circulating in the community  to be
presented to the board for removal of this series.

We are following recommended policies.  However, it would be helpful to
hear from other middle school libraries regarding holdings of this
series and whether or not you have had complaints.  I anticipate this
will be to the point of appearing on the board agenda at our March 15
meeting.

You may e-mail me directly: dyahne@mygalaxyexpress.com.

Thank you for any input you can provide in this matter.

Sincerely,

Dan Yahne
Media/Technology Coordinator
Harrisburg Middle School