Hi, Folks -

Last year our schedule was divided into four 90-minute blocks. Students
had language arts and math for 90-minutes, two 45-minute electives, and
science and social studies rotated in one 90-minute block between
semesters. Needless to say, this did not work well for science and
social studies since they had to compact their curriculums into a single
semester. In addition, end-of-grade testing for science will begin next
year.

This year we have five 70-minute blocks. Language arts, math, science,
and social studies all have 70-minute blocks for the year. Our students
can take four 35 minute semester electives, they are required to take
computer skills and PE. This means elective teachers teach eight
35-minute classes straight through the day. We are the only middle
school in our district with 35-minute electives. Elective teachers
discussed an A-day/B-day schedule, but band, chorus, and PE wanted to
see their students every day. This is a handicap for classes where
students create projects such as art and video production. The art
teacher juggles materials for eight classes working on three different
projects at a time depending on what each grade level is working on. Our
students love art, but she has to reduce her curriculum to meet the time
constraints.

I was wondering if any middle schools out there have schedules that work
well for all academic and elective classes. We cannot extend the school
day since our bus schedule is tied to the elementary school. I would
appreciate any ideas and/or examples I can share with our staff. Thanks.

Becky

--
Becky Palgi, Media Coordinator/NBCT
McGee's Crossroads Middle School