Hi, folks ...

The Northern California Publishers & Authors (NCPA) Conference and book
awards program and registration information are now available at
http://www.norcalpa.org/calendar/2005conference.shtml .  This conference,
to be held at the Holiday Inn in downtown Sacramento on Saturday April 9th,
promises to be an interesting occasion, featuring speakers on writing and
publishing, luncheon, book awards, and a media reception.

NCPA (until recently known as Sacramento Publishers & Authors) is a
nonprofit association of small presses and authors in Northern California,
primarily the Sacramento Valley and nearby areas.   (I am currently the
speakers bureau coordinator and interim newsletter editor for the
organization.)

If you know folks near Sacramento who might be interested (friends or
family with a book in progress or under consideration? teachers with an
interest in learning more about the publishing industry?), please pass the
link along.  Advance registration saves $20 over registration at the
door.  In my opinion, this event may be of particular interest to
librarians and teachers who are on the lookout for information to help
budding authors among their students pursue their ambition, and to those
who are writing books of their own.

On a related note, and possibly of interest to folks in a much wider area,
is NCPA's "Publishing 101" page,
http://www.norcalpa.org/benefits/pub101.shtml , and its related links,
http://www.norcalpa.org/benefits/links.shtml .  This is a treasure trove of
information, some of which I believe is responsive to inquiries that
occasionally arise on LM_NET.  It even includes several valuable links
related to copyright and ISBNs, plus much more.

--Ken
Ken Umbach
Umbach Consulting: A writing and research service
6966 Sunrise Blvd., #263, Citrus Heights, CA 95610
916-733-2159 (voice)
www.umbachconsulting.com