Thank you, again, for the many peers who took the time to help me with my query. I
know how busy we all are, so I do appreciate you all taking the time to answer me
with your suggestions; they were great!

I am leaning toward one I found reviewed in Booklist: Henry and the Kite Dragon or
the suggested Firekeeper's Son. Here are the other suggestions, which I will
definitely look into for other needs of the program:

Ruby Mae has something to say by David Small.

Here are a few suggestions from EBSCO's NoveList!
This is the way we eat our lunch by Baer, Edith
My house has stars by McDonald, Megan
Dancing feet by Agell, Charlotte
World team by Vyner, Tim
We share one world by Hoffelt, Jane E.
Gigi and Zachary's Around-the-World adventure by Eduar, Gilles
She is born by Kroll, Virginia L.
Country far away, A by Gray, Nigel

The Name Jar by Yangsook Choi

It doesn't really answer your question ... but as you are just starting on the I.B.
road then the following might be of interest :

http://www.shambles.net/ib/

and for student leadership see the link at
http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/studcentre/leadership/
http://www.shambles.net/pages/staff/SchLead/

Good luck with your new program.  Here are a few book suggestions:

--Wake Up, World:  A Day in the Life of Children Around the World /
Beatrice Hollyer.
--Somewhere in the World Right Now / Stacey Schuett
--Whoever You Are / Mem Fox
--We All Sing With the Same Voice / J. Philip Miller

Give this page a try:

http://www.lib.muohio.edu/pictbks/search/alpha.php

click on a letter of a subject word you might like:  Korean or
leadership or whatever...and see if stuff comes up

You can also do a Boolean:
http://www.lib.muohio.edu/pictbks/search/

I recently read the book The Firekeeper's Son by Linda Sue Park.  The
pictures are sumptuous; the story is based on historical information;
the main character has to call on his own sense of honor and
responsibility (pretty good leadership traits).
The summary on our entry reads:
"In eighteenth-century Korea, after Sang-hee's father injures his
ankle, Sang-hee attempts to take over the task of lighting the evening
fire which signals to the palace that all is well.  Includes historical
notes."
I hope you can find it and I hope you, too, think it's worth
considering.

Since it's Dr. Seuss this week, a few of those come to mind.
The Sneeches, or Yertle the Turtle perhaps.