Here are the responses that I got concerning the Literacy Empowerment Grant
(which is explained below).

Sharon

I haven't heard anything good about them.  I went on the website and the
books are not of great quality.  My headmaster keeps forwarding their emails
to me.

There have been several discussions about this- check the archives.
Basically I
have seen some of their books and they are not of the quality I would put in
my
library.  They are like a lot of self-published children's books, there's a
reason they were not published through regular channels.  The foundation and
author of the books you can buy w/ the grant money are the same thing.

I am in a middle school and since none of the books are listed, I wrote
andasked them where on the website I could look at the titles. Seems it's
noton the website at all and most are 1st grade and under.My superintendent
sent this to me this morning. I deleted it mainly because it didn't look
like it applied to my level, but also because it looks to me like they
select the books.

MATCHING BOOK GRANTS INCREASED

The Literacy Empowerment Foundation (LEF) has increased the size of the
matching grants available to $8,000.00 per school.  A school can now order
$16,000.00 worth of books and pay only $8,000.00.  (Any amount purchased
from $100.00 to $8,000.00 will be matched.)

Here are the details:  The Matching Book Grant Program offers Guided Reading
and Independent Reading Collections.  Guided Reading Collections consist of
six copies each of eighteen titles.  Independent Reading Collections consist
of one copy each of 108 titles.  With each set of Guided Reading and/or
Independent Reading Collections purchased at the regular price, an
additional set of books will be included.

The Literacy Empowerment Foundation (LEF) is a 501(c) 3 nonprofit
organization.  LEF currently supplies books to over 15,000 schools.  The
number of books available in the Matching Book Grant Program has increased
dramatically.  Matching Book Grants allow your school to double its
purchasing power.  This is a limited time offer that requires no special
screening or applications.

Orders must be received by April 30, 2005.

Please forward this email to your friends and colleagues in literacy.

Information and a matching book grant order form are available at
http://www.lefbooks.org/.

Literacy Empowerment Foundation
6323 Salem Park Circle
Mechanicsburg, Pa. 17050