I have been doing research on Macbeth, due to a
challenge in my district. A middle school TAG
classroom teacher has her kids stage an hour-long
version (edited by the Oregon Shakespeare Festival)of
Macbeth. A patron has objected to the play for
numerous reasons including language, drug and alcohol
use, and of course, the witches.

What say you all on this topic? Frankly, I don't want
to discuss the merits of the play at all -- it would
seem too much like the intelligentsia vs. the
religious right.  But I am not sure just trotting out
the old "choose for your own child and leave everyone
else out of it" argument is going to fly yet again.

Can you tell I have been on these challenge committees
perhaps one too many times?

Sadie Longood
Dallas (Oregon) High School Librarian
saintsadie@yahoo.com