I am stepping out of my usual role, which is teaching technology
oriented classes to library science students. This term I am enjoying
teaching reference for the first time. We are using the Katz books,
exploring the resources, talking about reference models, etc. I want to
share with students some real life reference questions that kids have
posed. For example, years ago my inquisitive three-year-old posed the
question, "Do butterflies hear?" We took that one right to the Houston
Public Library Information Line and got a satisfactory answer for her. I
also fielded many different and interesting questions while working in a
junior high library and also as a reference librarian in a community
college. I would love to hear some of your recent or not so recent but
memorable queries from kids of all ages that resulted in successful and
interesting results. My purpose is to dramatize how exciting, fun, and
satisfying reference work with kids can be, and to show students the
kinds of questions kids may ask. I am not so interested in teacher
assigned questions unless they afforded leeway for the kids to come up
with their own ideas. Thanks in advance and of course I will share a
hit.--Mary Ann

--
"Try curiosity!"  Dorothy Parker