Hi -

Thanks so much for all the responses!  I did try to thank everyone individually,
but a few bounced back, so if you didn't hear from me, please know I appreciated
your time and knowledge!

Several responses (especially the "general advice" comments) were repeated a few
times, so I've just distilled everything I received into the lists below.

General advice:
Pay attention to specific details about the books, especially edition, format,
publisher, and whether the book was signed by the author or illustrator.  The
book's condition is also a big factor.  However, "old" does not necessarily equal
"valuable", especially in the case of Bibles and educational texts.

Websites:
        http://www.abebooks.com
        http://www.bookfinder.com
        http://www.amazon.com
        http://www.alibris.com
        www.addall.com  (go to the used & out-of-print section)
        http://www.rbms.nd.edu/yob.html (web pamphlet from the Library of Congress,
called Your Old Books)

        http://www.ebay.com  "An extremely helpful and unbelievably informative
place to go is the Community section of Ebay.  There's a tab at the top of the home
page to take you there.  Once there, go to Discussion Boards.  Next, look for the
Booksellers link under the Category Specific heading.  Now you can ask questions
such as the one you posed and you will be stunned at the expertise of the people
that respond--especially one.  I think her handle is Satnrose.  There's also a FAQ
link in a frame on the right of this discussion board that includes a Book
Valuation link."

"Real World" places
        Used/Rare book stores
        Antique dealers
        Rare Book/Special Collections departments of university libraries

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient (s) and may contain confidential and privileged
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by