Thank you to Peter Milbury for permission to post. I am the volunteer
publicity chair for this media education conference. Unfortunately, the
date conflicts with ALA in Chicago, but we appreciate your consideration
of this event and ask also that you pass this message along to any
teachers in your school who might be interested.

The biennial National Media Education Conference (NMEC) 2005 -- the
largest, oldest, and most broad-based gathering of media literacy
educators in the U.S. -- will be held June 25-28 in San Francisco,
Calif. It is sponsored by the non-profit Alliance for a Media Literate
America (www.AMLAinfo.org).

The huge conference Bookstore and A-V Preview Room of media literacy
teaching resources - books, videos, CDs, curriculum kits, etc. – will be
provided by the Center for Media Literacy in collaboration with GPN
Educational Media.

More than 75 conference events, including keynotes, workshops, and
preconference seminars provide many opportunities for learning how to do
media education in the classroom as part of English, Social Studies,
Health and other standard subjects.

This year's theme - "Giving Voice to a Diverse Nation" - explores the
role of media literacy education in enabling all individuals in our
increasingly diverse society:
-- To participate fully in our information and media-saturated culture;
-- To be accurately represented in and by media; and
-- To acquire the skills, access and opportunities to tell their stories
and hear their stories told.

The AMLA calls for Americans to explore whether our media truly
represent and serve citizens of all ages, genders, ethnicities,
abilities, and income - and to find solutions in media literacy.

Participants will be able to meet, hear, and exchange views with some of
the top media education experts from the U.S., Canada and around the
world. Featured speakers include David Buckingham, Alan November, Gloria
Tristani, Kenneth Smith, Carlos Cortes, Ronald Takaki, and more.

Early discount is available for registrations by May 1. Conference
organizers have recognized tight school budget constraints by obtaining
low room rates and using a downtown San Francisco hotel that is
accessible by public transportation (BART) from both the San Francisco
and Oakland airports.

Full details are available at http://www.amlainfo.org/conference.

Thank you,
Susan Rogers
Volunteer publicity chair for the NMEC
and editor/publisher of MediaLiteracy.com
susan@medialiteracy.com