I have taught at high school and middle schools for most of my 18
years.  In both cases I have had problems with overdues and use
basically the same methods you do for handling them. To start with lets
start with the professional concerns.  First, overdues and their
punishments should not cause a child/young adult to hate using
libraries.  Second, we do have a responsibility to our school community
and the tax payers to make every effort to keep and use our resources
wisely.  Third, we need to help students learn to be ethical users of
the library (see Information Power/State & Local Information Literacy
Standards).  OK with all of that said, what do we do?  Run screaming
down the hall -- Nooooooo!  We cajole, we plead, we beg, we negotiate,
we sometimes even bully.  Yes I did say bully, for what else can you
call it when an adult hands out a notice after notice to a child who
hasn't a clue where the book is located.

Here are some of the tactics I have used to cut my overdue list in
half.  They may seem pretty drastic, but you really need to do them all
with a sense humor and also with the attitude that your really are going
to follow through with these punishments and yes the actual  resolve to
follow through.

   1. Any books over 30 days over due are considered lost and must be
      paid for or returned within one week.  This statement goes in the
      student handbook and during orientation I go over it, saying ,
      "But of course, this will not be an issue for any of you."  Once
      the book is 30 days overdue, I call the student(s) to the library
      and explain the policy again.  I tell them if they do not return
      the late item(s) and pay the overdue fines by the next day, or
      make arrangements with me,  that I will mail a letter to their
      parents concerning this matter.
   2. Prior to mailing the letters I try to ascertain from the student,
      counselors, etc. if money is an issue.  If it is I work out a work
      for the book and fine regiment.  This has always been a win win
      for the kid and me.  Many of them are great helpers and go on to
      become my student assistants.  Also many of these kids just need
      some attention -- between my aide and myself they get positive
      reinforcement for a job well done.  They work at lunch or after
      school.  Never during class time.
   3. I give the letter 2 weeks to get action.  If the book is not
      returned or paid for, I threaten library detention.  Again it
      becomes work detail which takes up there time, but when the
      students are doing it I laugh with them and keep it light. Before
      I let them go home for the evening, I tell them they will have
      library detention every day (Tues & Thur, etc. as it fits into my
      schedule) until they take care of their library responsibility.
      Most return the book the next day with smiles.
   4. If they do not show for detention or if library detention fails I
      give them an office referral which leads to a parent call from me,
      detention, and a visit with an administrator. This is a last resort.
   5. Some books are not worth the hassle and are written off after a
      discussion with counselors and/or administrators.

Yes this is time consuming, but I usually only have to do it once or
twice a year and the word gets around.  Kids hate parents knowing
anything and losing their time, even if it isn't drudgery work or
awful.  I usually have them do any odd jobs around the library
including: dusting; edging; cleaning counters, computer monitors, and
tables; putting new fiction books in alphabetical order; putting the
shelving cart in order (doesn't matter if they haven't a clue -- its a
teachable moment); and watering plants.

I believe strongly that the focus of the library is not overdues, but
reading and a safe haven, so you can not implement this in a mean
spirited way, no matter how mad you are at the kid.  Remember what we
remember best are the bad experiences from our childhood, not the
pleasant ones.  One bad encounter with a librarian or library staff
member can turn a kid off libraries for life.

Good luck.
Billie