Many of the responses I got were on how great the Sony Mactiva digital
camera is...which is great for machines with floppy drives but Apple
dropped floppies a number of years ago. I should have stated that it
really needs to be USB compatible. Some use a mini cd but with slot
average non techy teachers

Other responses included:

I purchased several Kodak EasyShare Digital Cameras. With our discount
for our school, I was able to purchase them for $260.00. They are user
friendly and several of our teachers took a workshop on digital cameras.
This was the camera used in the workshop.
****************************

I just picked up a Nikon Cool Pix 4.0 megapixels at Staples for $197.
This price included a free media disk.  I did not think that was a bad
price.  I think the offer is still available online.  I tested the
camera and the pictures are great.  This camera has twice as many
pixels as my personal camera at less cost.  (Of course, I purchased my
personal camera over a year ago.)  Hope this info helps.
****************************

I would definitely buy rechargeable batteries and a battery charger.
You can get a good one for about $25.00 and it recharges different sizes
of batteries.  I just make it a habit to recharge the batteries each
time the camera is returned.  That way it's ready to go for the next
person.  Also, have regular batteries available in case they havent'
gotten recharged.

*******************

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/photo_and_video/digital_cameras/
reviews.html
This is a list of digital camera reviewing sources compiled by
ConsumerSearch.com.
The problem with the list is two-fold.
1)  The list was compiled six months ago, so many of the sources are
out of date.  For example, PC World Mag. reviews digital cameras each
month, so you'd be better served by going directly to www.pcworld.com
and looking for their current digital camera reviews.  In the CS list
of reviewing sources, there are several older links to PC World that
should be skipped in preference to PC World's latest listings.
2)  Their are so many fine reviewing sources listed that you will
hardly know which you should pay attention to.
If you want nonprofessional comments, use Epinions at.......
http://www.epinions.com/Digital_Cameras?linkin_id=3065542
If you want professional reviews, try........
http://www.stevesdigicams.com
http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB2/WB.HTM
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/allreviews.php
As I recall, the most recent reviews found in Consumer Reports were in
their November issue.
Three megapixels will be fine.
Incidentally, the highly regarded Canon A75 is being phased out, so you
may find some bargains of it.
But Canon has replaced it with the A510.........
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a510_a520-review/
index.shtml
You can use iPhoto with it (or with any other camera, for that matter).
You can use rechargeable double A batteries, too.

*****************

If the photos will be projected on a screen, you will need at least 4
megapixels. If it is just for computer screen and internet sharing,
school reports, less megapixels would be ok.

*****************

So, no definitive answers but a narrowing of the field, some of which I
knew and some I didn't. Thanks to those who shared their info.
Hopefully this post will helps others also.

Have a great day!

Barb Engvall
=^..^=

Teacher-Librarian