I'm "thinking outside of the box"--which can get me in trouble
sometimes---and wanted to use Michael Stadther's book "A Treasure's
Trove" as a summer reading project for high school students.  (This is
the book that is being read by children and adults as they try to solve
the puzzle of the hidden jewels that have been placed throughout the
country by Mr. Stadther.)  A website of the book / adventure is located
here:  http://www.atreasurestrove.com/Public/Home/index.cfm

Is anyone else doing this... or if not, what would be your thoughts on
this type of project?  What would be the limitations or problems that
you foresee?  The book involves reading (a simple fairy tale) which is
actually much more that a "fairy tale" because of the hidden messages
within the book, the pictures, etc.  Each part of the book offers a
puzzle to one of the hidden jewels and provides some thought-provoking
investigation---which would also develop into a lesson into research,
examination of Internet webpages, use of library resources (such as the
atlas, the encyclopedias, almanacs) ....  I thought it would be a great
way to involve students in a more creative way to examine works of
literature while involving them in a real-life situation (much like
"reality TV"--like "The Great Race") where their investigation and
research could lead to someone in our group solving the puzzle and
actually finding the tokens / jewels. [After all....at least one token
can be found within a day's drive from any part of the United
States....or so I have discovered through research....]

Any ideas, comments, suggestions....?   [This could become a very
interesting experiment / journal article / PR campaign for the library
and summer reading....again, I'm thinking outside the box.....]  Now, I
will listen to you....comments?

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX