Mary Ann Bell wrote:

>Today's Houston Chronicle highlighted a new study of teens' use of TV and other
>media. It is loaded with good statistics and interesting information on this
>topic. The full study can be found at http://www.kff.org
>Lots of good discussion points.--Mary Ann

A treasure trove of online articles on media literacy; critical
thinking, viewing and analysis of media; family/kids/media; media
violence, etc. can be found at the site of the non-profit Center for
Media Literacy, www.medialit.org. Virtually all articles from the
once-acclaimed and now out-of-print Media&Values magazine are there,
plus many others -- click "Reading Room." You will want to bookmark this
site. Its founder, Elizabeth Thoman, has championed media literacy
education in the U.S. for nearly 30 years, and she is also one of the
founders of the professional association that now produces the National
Media Education Conference (www.nmec.org) coming up in June, about which
I posted previously. She'll be co-leading a pre-conference "Media
Literacy 101" for folks new to the field.

My website also has many links to resources, including printer-friendly
free downloads of fact sheets, discussion guides and other media
education materials on:
Advertising & Consumerism
Global Media Issues (media & democracy, media economics, activism)
Media Ecology
Faith-based Media Education (incl. media & religion)
Health & Behavior (incl. media violence)
Kids, Parents & Media
Making Media
Representation in Media
Visual & Aural Literacy
(See http://www1.medialiteracy.com/downloads.jsp).

Despite the dot-com domain, I assure you that I am not making any money
off the site and it's a labor of love at this time. I grabbed the domain
many years ago to keep a multi-national media conglomerate from taking
it and co-opting the meaning of "media literacy." I consulted for two
years to the Center for Media Literacy and have been an advocate for
this field of education for about eight years now. If I had to do it all
over again, I'd probably be a librarian! Born in Pittsburgh and I think
I must have some Andrew Carnegie blood in me.

Best,
Susan Rogers
Editor/publisher
MediaLiteracy.com