Netters,

I have already received several personal (off-list) responses about the "harshness"
of my suggestions concerning students with late books (03/12/05: Re: [LM_NET] SEC:
Overdue Book Ideas -New IDEA) and seen several other responses posted. Before I
receive any more comments I would ask that you please re-read the first line: "May
I offer a suggestion for your die-hard offenders?"   (And also the subject line -
which specifies the response is directed to secondary librarians, not the general
listserv).

Please note the term "die-hard" - it's obvious I'm NOT talking about the
run-of-the-mill late book problem that is resolved in a few days or weeks - I'm
referring to the student who is indifferent, careless, or consistently
irresponsible. Those of us following the thread recall that the original problem
was at the high school level, an age when (with a few exceptions) students are
expected to be responsible for getting things back in a timely fashion. Perhaps
there are some that disagree, but holding students accountable for their own
actions (or inaction) IS part of their education and part of our responsibility as
a member of their educational team.

One person suggested that there are more positive ways to get books back. Very
true, and I regularly practice and heartily recommend such ideas (and have shared
ideas that worked for me) on listservs (see my post on 1/07/04: in the archives -
Re: [LM_NET] Late library books - a positive response). I do "accent the positive"
FIRST and FOREMOST, and work closely with teachers and office staff to be sure that
there are not over-riding family issues (medical emergencies, divorce, impaired
parent, etc.) that are interfering with the student's ability to be responsible. I
am sure that most of us do the same.

Another note mentioned that [calling parents early in the morning] "Sure makes us
look like a collection agency." None of us WANT to be in that category, but some of
us don't have too much choice in order to get materials back. Getting them back may
not be a priority if you are well-financed and can afford to replace items, but in
many schools (especially here in California where budgets are being slashed and
where we have a very transient population in certain areas) "writing off" hundreds
of books a year because we were concerned about the perception of  "not being nice"
would quickly result in an empty library! How does that benefit the RESPONSIBLE
students who come in week after week and ask why their requested book STILL hasn't
been returned? How would that sit with the taxpayers who keep hearing us ask for
more tax dollars but find out we haven't diligently followed through?

As far as calling early in the morning, this is probably the only time many parents
can be reached at home, and it would obviously be a LAST RESORT. (Recall that I
recommended the student be informed that the call would be made but one more "last
chance" to return or pay for it was given). I've made just a few calls at around 7
a.m. and one parent actually thanked me because they were able to find the book
BEFORE dropping the student off and knew it was taken care of. Had I sent yet
another note home with the student it would have likely joined the pile of other
crumpled notes and the parent would have eventually gotten a call from the
principal (or a bill in the mail) instead. And I have always been very courteous
and "professional" in speaking with parents - as I stated, it is a "Courtesy Call"
and that's how my voice projects it. After all, it was (99% of the time) the
student who misplaced or damaged the book - not their parents.

Lastly, someone was concerned that dealing with students in a "harsh" manner would
affect them negatively about wanting to check out books from the school library.
That's certainly possible but I must not be grouchy enough <wink!> - they keep
coming back again and checking out again (as soon as their book is returned or paid
for) anyway! Seriously though, I do have a little chat with the kids who are
frequent "forgetters" at my site. We have policies in place to help them and I go
over these policies at orientation and throughout the year. We very seldom have a
student permanently lose their library privilege for the year by parent request
(Actually, it's been only one in four years at my current site). I don't want my
students losing books because I know for many of them it is a genuine financial
hardship. I let them know I don't want them going without a book because they have
overdues, or lost or damaged books, so they need to take care of the situation in a
timely manner. I also know that one of the MOST important things we (I'm referring
to the entire school personnel, not just librarians) are here to teach them (in
addition to the joy of reading!) is RESPONSIBILITY.

If you still feel the need to write me about my harshness, go ahead. Please keep in
mind that despite my "harsh" suggestions, in 17 years I've only had to make about 5
early morning calls (and that was at a K - 8 school of 850 students over 3 years
and most calls were to middle-school parents). I currently send only a few students
(1 to 3) per month to the office to call home and leave a message (now at a school
with 650 students), and that's usually because the book is more than a month
overdue and/or the student is consistently oblivious to responsibility. Yet the
first thing I hear from the kids in September is "How soon can we come to the
library Mrs. Ladewig?" and "Can I help this year?" with LOTS of smiling faces! (I'm
really not very good at being an ogre, apparently!)  One teacher confided in me
that when she did a survey in her class about their favorite school activity,
"visiting the library" actually beat recess!

In summary - the advice was addressed to the secondary members, only for use in
"die-hard" situations as a last resort, with students who are mature enough to
reasonably be expected to be responsible (but aren't demonstrating that) and the
call is to be made (at whatever time of day) in a professional and courteous
manner.

Joanne Ladewig, Library Media Technician (a.k.a. "Library Lady")
Lawrence Elementary School, GGUSD
Garden Grove, CA USA
shatz@verizon.net

---Comments are my own and may not reflect the views of GGUSD.