Thank you to those who responded to my question about what to do with CD's from the
settlement.  There was a class action lawsuit over price-fixing, and schools and
libraries were among the beneficiaries who received CD's last summer.  Looks like
some others are also clueless!
http://www.ltls.org/CDSettlementfaq082004.html
Some responses follow:
"from the settlement"  What's that mean?

I work in a small Jr. High (about 350 students) and we received about
75 CDs, so I won't have the same space problems you will. I'm still in
the process of entering these. Some of the records were available on
the Library of Congress site and I was able to download. For
storage/display purposes, I will invest in some cheap jewel cases, then
take the CDs and put them into one and store in our AV room where
students do not have access. I will display the original CD case out in
the library and students can bring that to the desk to borrow the CD.
I'm hoping this will work for me. We did not have a music CD collection
so this is new ground for me.

My school library got about 90 CD's as a share of
the CD's in Montana's settlement share.  I was able to
find MARC records for all of them through OCLC's
Worldcat data base.  I've downloaded all the MARC's
into my local circ system, and patrons can locate
different CD's with the OPAC.  Like you, we listen to
the quieter pieces in the library; some students have
checked a few of the other ones out; and the music
teachers have checked others out to listen to.  I hope
to publicize the  collection more next school year to
encourage it's use.

I'd like to know what to do with those we don't want to keep!

never got any of those CDs. Should I have?  The public library cataloged some with
their other CDs. The rest were give to the Friends of the LIbrary (whcih I am on )
to sell at our used boo sale.  We sold them for a buck each and they flew off the
tables.

Sue Gooden, Librarian
Concord High School
Wilmington, DE 19810