Hello,

I am a librarian in a K-5 elementary school. Currently the library is used as a
release time for teacher planning like art, music, PE. This means I teach 6 50min
classes a day of 28 or so students. I am in charge of the adjoining computer lab
and so I use the opportunity to teach technology skills as well. However, needless
to say this causes the library to be under utilized for research and collaborative
projects.

I would very much like to approach the administrators and staff with the idea of
having at least  semi-flexible schedule. In other words have the library open a
couple of hours for collaborative lessons with the classroom teacher(s). I already
know I will be met with resistance from some individuals. I would like to be armed
with some data.

1.  Have any of you had to move a library from fixed to flexible schedule?  Any
pointers or ideas would be appreciated.

2. Does anyone have information, websites, journals I could consult to show that a
flexible schedule prompts/enhances student learning?

3. Does anyone who has a flexible schedule have any input about the good and/or the
bad aspects of flexible schedules?

4. Any other information about flexible scheduling any of you might be able to
share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any information you might be able to provide. This is only
my second year as a library coordinator, and I'm still working on my MLS so I have
much to learn.

Elizabeth Conner
Media Coordinator
Belmont Elementary