Thanks to all who responded.

This was an excellent book...
There is some sexual abuse...
More of a high school level book

*****
I recently read this book and loved it. There is one section in the book where the
boy's friend is raped by a gang of rich bullies. It is somewhat graphic in that the
blood is pouring down and staining his pants. If you can live with that, the rest
of the book is unbelievably good. I'm in a K-7 library and I wouldn't put it there.
I would certainly put it in a high school library though. Middle School...I don't
know--depends on the community, I suppose. You could certainly argue its worth as
important
cultural reading of a very current topic.

*****
I have the same 7-12 library set up and its accompanying concerns.  I loved "The
Kite Runner" and we used it as an adult book club selection.  I have offered it
successfully to HS students.  I am not one to censor or heavily screen, but the
content, as the story unfolds, surrounds some s--ually explict violence.  I
wouldn't recommend it without the OK of a
parent.  You should give it a read for your own feelings given the climate in your
school, besides it's an excellent novel of coming of age before, during, and after
the Taliban takeover.  Good luck,

 I have read "Kite Runner" and would not recommend it for middle schoolers.  The
main conflict of the book, the beating and rape of the friend, is too strong for
them to comprehend.
*****
I loved The Kite Runner as I recently finished listening to it on audio.  I am not
usually prudish, however, the major problem that brings forth the protagonists
angst in this case is his witnessing the physical rape of his best friend--as he
witnessed in silence.
 *****
The story was very interesting to me as I have not been very well-versed on
Afghanistan, etc.  As the parent of an 8th grader, I just think I would wait for a
bit more maturity before introducing this novel.
 *****
I am hesitant to say, because I so believe in reading and not censoring, but this
time, really think it would be touch for an educator to handle.
 *****
I read it a few months ago and while the subject matter (the tragedy of
Afghanistan) is heavy, I donÕt think thereÕs anything that would be inappropriate
for a mature middle schooler.
 *****
This came up recently at our scfhool when a reasonably mature 6th grader told his
English teacher that that would be his free reading this quarter. hee said his
mother had recommended it. She spoke with the mother to verify she had read it
already and knew its content, and she had As I read it myself I thought about it
too and thought I would put it on display on the HS "side" of the library, but if a
MS students asked about it I would indicate that there were several scenes of
considerable violence, including
the rape of a boy. Overall, the story is so compelling that
although much of it pivots on the rape, the graphicness of the violence in that
scene seems to falls into the background as the protagonist experiences his various
forms of remorse over it. I don't think I would recommend it for middles, but with
that caveat I would allow it to go out. They understand "not
stepping in to help," the vagaries of friendship in various forms, even
self-loathing and the need for contrition.
*****

just finish reading Kite Runner for my book club and I loved it.  But, I would
wonder the appropriateness for middle schoolers.  One of the main characters is
raped and many years later his son is raped by the same man. The other main
character must deal with the guilt of not interfering with the first rape.  I'm not
sure I would deal with this issue with middle schoolers.  It would be very
appropriate for high school students.

*******
   I just finished Kite Runner over Spring Break (I
read it on the beach in Playa del Carmen.)  As I told
my friends, it was one of the saddest, most powerful
books I have read.  With that thought in mind, I do
not think it would be appropriate for many middle
school students, even though so much is about the
father/son relationship from the son's perspective, I
think you need to be an adult to understand those
complex issues...but it does rank as one of my
favorite adult reads.

We just got it approved as a core World History book for 10th graders. We deemed it
to mature for our 9th graders even though our students are pretty sophisticated and
well read.
*******

We read Kite Runner in our adult book club - I could say almost entirely senior
citizen book club last summer and I don't think because of content that it would be
appropriate for middle schoolers, even mature ones.  It was certainly interesting
for us to discuss on many levels, but I don't think middle schoolers have the
background or life experience to understand and/or appreciate it.  I would be
interested to know how others respond to your message.

John Grainger
Librarian
Hinsdale High School
Hinsdale NH 03451