Dear LM_NET Friends

Tonight, my monthly book discussion group (sponsored
by the local public library) met to discuss Lowry's
_The Giver._

The group moderator remembers reading a novel about a
future world with a uptopian society in which people
worked until noon at something for the good / benefit
the community.  From noon on, the people worked at
things to express their creative self / artistic
expression.  She cannot remember the title of the book
but said it was quite popular about 40 years ago.
Does anyone recall what this novel might be?

I'll post a hit with the answers I get.
Thanks!

"VAN"
________