Could it be the cult classic "Islandia", by Austin Tappan Wright?
Here's the product description from Amazon (I'm off to work or I'd write one
out!):
Product Description:
On his death, Austin Tappan Wright left the world a wholly unsuspected
legacy. Among this distinguished legal scholar's papers were thousands of
pages devoted to a staggering feat of literary creation - a detailed history
of an imagined country complete with geography, genealogy, representations
from its literature, language and culture. In a monumental labor of love
Wright's wife and daughter culled from this material a thousand page novel,
as detailed as J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth. Islandia has similarly become
a classic touchstone for those concerned with the creation of imaginary
worlds.

Islandia occupies the southern portion of the Karain Continent, which lies
in the Southern Hemisphere. Its civilization is an ancient one, protected
from outside intervention by a natural fortress of towering mountains. To
this isolated country - this alien, compelling and totally fascinating
world - comes John Lang, the American consul. As the reader lives with Lang
in Islandia, as he comes to know this magnetic land, its unique people, its
strange customs, he may find himself experiencing a feeling of envy, a wish
that he, like Lang, be permitted, at the book's end, to return once more and
spend the rest of his days in Islandia.

Cathy Marciniak

Fuller Public Library

Hillsboro NH 03244