Thanks, to everyone who responded to my query. I
appreciate the advice.

Heidi Grange
Student
Utah State University
Logan, Utah
hg195@yahoo.com

This is my first message for the listserv so I hope I
do this right.  I am currently a student finishing up
my masters in instructional technology with an
emphasis in school library media. I am interviewing
for a school library media position at a K-5 school
and would like some advice on what to do and not do.
Also any questions that you can suggest for me to ask
would be appreciated.  Thanks!!

I have seen so many people come and go from this
profession.  It can be challenging some days.  Just
remember, no matter how difficult the staff might be,
you work with and for them to support their
curriculum. Don't become a separate entity.  People
who do this usually fail in this profession.
My advice to you is generic because I don't really
know the specifics of your area:
Always convey your BEST Truth (w/o lying) I know my
inclination is to minimize my accomplishments...the
job search is not the time to be humble.
 Focus on their needs and how you can more than meet
them.
 Focus on why you are particularly interested in
working for them.
 Be direct, succinct in your cover letter and resume
and how easy it is to read.  People who hire are very
busy; I stick to a 3-paragraph cover letter, 2-3
sentences a paragraph & a one-page letter.
Attached are resumes /cover letters that have worked
for me.
Investigate the school and district.  Where do they
place on the "State report cards?"
How about reading/math scores?  Come up with a plan to
address the needs of the students in these areas.
Who is going to be interviewing you?  Research these
people.  Read anything they may have published in the
journals.  Do they sit on any committees or boards?
Do they have a "pet" issue?  Educate your self on the
issue and when they ask you the inevitable "What
single issues do you think is the most important one
facing school libraries today?" question, go off on
"their" issue, making sure that you agree with "their"
viewpoint, even if you think it's a load of chit.
It's a bit manipulative, yes, but the object is to get
that job.
Ask about their present library schedule. Is it fixed
or flexible?
Do the teachers stay with their class during their
library time or are you considered part of their
conference period rotation?
Will you have an assistant? If so, full time or part
time?
Talk to the present librarian, if possible. Does she
have a group of parent volunteers? or student aides?
Is the present librarian retiring or moving? Is she
leaving you a library manual to help you get started?
How much collaboration is going on between the present
librarian and the teachers now?
How much is your budget? Is there a district librarian
or are you "on your own?" Will you have to process and
catalog all of the books you purchase yourself?
Just a few I can think of.

Emphasize that you want your library to be the hub of
the school, a constantly busy, active and heavily used
place.
Talk about being willing to do anything, learn
anything you need to, and especially that you would
seek out and welcome collaboration.
 Make it clear that you want to be part of an
educational team, that you will talk to the teachers
to receive mentoring and for making your own
suggestions to help their projects.
 Ask how they would like to see the library used, how
they envision its role, and then tell them you can do
whatever that is, and more!
 Best of luck to you!  I'm new myself, second year at
my school, so my interview is still fresh in my mind.
:-)

Know the curriculum.  The school library should
support the curriculum and do all it can to increase
student achievement.  Review the Colorado Studies,
etc.  With all the talk of accountability, etc.,
administrators love to hear about what you can do to
increase achievement.
Questions you might consider asking would be--is the
schedule fixed (meaning classes come the same time
every week or every rotation) or flexible (meaning
classes visit when the time has been chosen by the
teacher or the librarian to address a particular
topic.) --does the district have a policy for
purchasing library materials, and for reviewing
challenged materials? --are the library circulation
system and the catalog automated, and if so, what
automation software is used?