I do like that answer. I had an intern last fall who never had the
opportunity to observe or participate in a book order. Yes, that happens
at home, as do website search and evaluation to support curriculum and
my own curriculum planning. Most e-mail replies and e-mail reference. Oh
and memos, proposals and phone calls. And of course reading. I had a
student teacher say to me that she thought she might want to be a
children's librarian because I got to read all day! A grown-up said
that! Lisa
Ps School is closed this week for break and yes I am here catching up.

Lisa Von Drasek
Children's Librarian
Bank Street College of Education
School for Children Pre-K- 8
610 West 112th St
NY  NY   10025

lisav@bnkst.edu

212 875 4452

>>> Ann Marie Gordon <agordon@LIVONIACSD.ORG> 3/29/2005 12:28:03 PM

Easy!  Time spent on teaching:  100%.  Time spent on library
administration:  100%.  Now, if only we had 48 hour days...

Anne-Marie Gordon, Librarian
Livonia Primary School
Livonia, NY
agordon@livoniacsd.org
585-346-4020 ext. 5193
http://www.livoniacsd.org/primaryschool/gordon/index.htm

>>> Sally Glasser <slg3@OPTONLINE.NET> 03/28/05 10:42 PM >>>
Hello all,

I am a new MLIS student planning to become a SLMS (I do not yet know
what level).  I know a portion of a SMLS's job is to teach, but I have
heard different views and opinions as to how much of the
responsibilties
are teaching and how much is running the library (circulation,
collection development, cataloging, etc) and computer lab/media
center.
I would love to hear from some of you in the field as to what portion
of
your responsibilities fall into which catagory, what breakdown of
responsibilities is generally expected of a SLMS and/or what you
believe
the breakdown should ideally be.

Thanks for any time any of you can spare.

Sally Glasser
MLIS student
Long Island University