Greetings from rainy Oregon.

It's not Monday so I hope I do this righ! <g>

I am hoping that one of you or more will have answer(s) to my questions
below.  Time is of the essence, I'm sorry to say, as the techie wants
this to be done in a couple days--the writing of the proposal.

One of our techies came in today and asked me what I wanted on a
database so he can write a proposal to automate the library.  It is my
understanding that he is planning to design it  but I want to be sure
that I can later import MARC records for any new titles, do reports on
it, check collection and circulation data, etc

I don't know enough about MARC records, etc. to even give him a
reasonable answer, other than to give him a copy of a MARC record and
tell him I need all those fields on it and then a list of other options
I need (reports, etc.). I rather doubt if he can replicate a commercial
program with all its features.

Also my knowledge of automation systems is limited.

Also if any of you know of any reasons I can provide why we SHOULD BUY
an automation system, please send them to me.  I can think of a couple
but may need more ammunition..

This morning I talked with my principal and asked him why we would be
reinventing the wheel; that a commercial automation program would be
better in the long run, etc etc etc.

Now he wants me to get the cost of an automation system--with and
without a security system.

So I'm asking for recommendations on automation systems and security
systems.  Have any of you dealt with LibraryWorld systems?

I'll be calling the vendors (Follett, Sagebrush, etc.) to get pricing.

Many thanks in advance!

Anne Richards, Librarian
Chemawa Indian School
Salem, OR  97305