From: School Library Media & Network Communications on behalf of janet perry
Sent: Wed 3/30/2005 5:33 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: [LM_NET] Off topic: Dryer Sheets

I just received the following email that I thought REALLY was worth passing
on to everyone.  Apologies in advance to anyone I offend.

Some lady writes about her heating unit going out on her
dryer and...

> >This guy that fixes things went into the dryer and pulled out
the lint
> >filter.  It was clean.  I always clean the lint from the
filter after
every
> >load of clothes.  He said that he wanted to show me
something.  He took
the
> >filter over to the sink and ran hot water over it.  Now, this
thing is
like
> >a mesh - I'm sure you know what your dryer's lint filter
looks like -
> >WELL......the hot water just laid on top of the mesh!!!  It
barely
dripped
> >through it at all!!!
> >
> >He told me that dryer sheets cause a film over that mesh and
that is what
> >burns out the heating unit.  You can't SEE the fil! m, but
it's there.
He
> >said the best way to keep your dryer working for a very long
time (and to
> >keep your electric bill lower) is to take that filter out and
wash it
with
> >hot soapy water and gently brush it with an old toothbrush
(or other
brush)
> >at least every six months.  Run water again to see if it is
seeping
through
> >plentifully.
> >
> >He said that makes the life of the dryer at least twice as
long and uses
> >LOT LESS ELECTRICITY!
> >
> >How about that???!!!!  Learn something new everyday!
> >
> >I certainly didn't know dryer sheets would do that.  So, I
thought I'd
> >share and pass this on to you.

Janet Perry, Librarian
Cerro Gordo CUSD 100, Cerro Gordo, IL