Greetings,

I am trying to gather information concerning life in other schools after
school.  Please answer either or both.  Yes, there have been serious issues
at my school all along, but new ones have come up.  I'll expound in a bit,
but first, the questions.

1)       What is your school's or library's policy concerning students in
the library after school?

2)   What are your school's policies/procedures for having teachers sponsor
or teach activities or clubs after school?  Specifically, are there formal
contracts for these activities or are you just told to do something because
it would "be a good activity for the kids"?

Here's the background: This is my first year at a PreK-12, private "college
preparatory" school.  I am the ONLY librarian/library staff for TWO
libraries, 850 students plus faculty.  During the week, I teach weekly
PreK-4th grade classes..  After adventures in the Lower School Library, I go
to the Middle/Upper School library, which for many years has been the
traditional "hangout" place for middle/upper schoolers while they are
waiting to be picked up.  There has never been an after school program for
the middle school (which I am working to change) so the administration have
had a difficult time in accepting that this needs to change and soon.
Therefore, question 1.

I ask question 2 because I have been sponsoring/teaching an after school
book group/independent study for 4th graders with another teacher.  The
other teacher is a middle school teacher and we meet in her classroom.  When
I agreed to do this, I was initially told that I would receive a stipend but
was then later told that they wouldn't give me a stipend because I am
contractually obligated to work until 5pm already, and they cannot pay me
twice for the same period of time.  The other teacher, on the other hand,
has been receiving a stipend because, as a classroom teacher, her contract
says that she is only obligated to stay every day until 4pm.  I agreed to it
anyhow because it sounded worthwhile and, in my first year, didn't want to
rock the boat too much.

But still.to me, it was an additional activity, asked of me by the school
and therefore it should not be looked at as a question of hourly work but of
extra work.  I'm not in it for the money, but am interested in fair
compensation for performing extra work.  I'm thinking about next
year-whether or not I should bother to do this activity again as well as how
much of an issue I should make of it.

 What do YOU think?

I will post a hit with the info I gather.

Thank you SO much!

Jennifer England

Librarian

Heritage Hall School