I'm also in a private school.....

This is a mirror of my situation.  Our library hours are 7:30 - 5:00 with a staff
of 1.5 serving 650 students in the middle and upper school daily.  We also
"baby-sit" after school (my terms) between the hours of 3:30 - 5:00 for the lower
school students who are not placed by their parents in the after school child care
program---why pay, when you can send your kids to the MS / US Library for free and
the librarian can watch them run up and down the stairs all afternoon until you
arrive to pick them up at 5:00 (if even at that time).  In the meantime, we also
get about 30 students in the afternoon from the MS / US who hang out until their
ride comes--most leave around 4:30 but several hang out and just play games on the
computers until then. (We have a no-games AUP, but that isn't enforced...so I'm
tired of policing it.)

There are no activities that can be planned for students in the library after
school primarily because of the limited staff--- you can't watch lower school
students who play on the staircases while you direct an organized program, watch
the circulation desk, keep kids from getting rowdy at the computers (as they play
games that they aren't allowed to play, but do), and keep kids from going behind
the circulation desk to use the telephone without your permission (often calling
friends to talk). Based upon the activities that happen each day, it's impossible
to know who might be there and what emergencies / assignments are due for those who
truly need help.

It's a circus atmosphere at times because the students think this is a "hang out"
and most of the adults have left the campus after 4:00 p.m.  There are very few
teachers in the buildings and the administration building is locked (the closest
bathroom available to the library is in another building--the administration
building--which requires the librarians to leave the library to go there....so you
don't want to leave the library after 3:30 to visit the bathroom while you have
students in the library!)

We have club sponsors for activities after school but the teachers are on an 8:30 -
3:30 contract.  Anything after 3:30 is a negotiable contract salary. I'm not aware
of the amount that is paid for specific duties because I have not been involved in
anything outside of the library.

I was asked by a group of high school girls last year if I would be their dance
coach (I taught cheer / dance for 8 years in the public schools).  I asked the
administration if I could do this (so that I could be involved with the students in
an activity that was not "library-related" and become involved in other areas of
the school), but I was discouraged from doing this---not once but four times.
Finally, the girls decided to go ahead with their dance team without me---it was
disappointing.

I have tried to start a book club for middle school students, but the scheduling
hasn't allowed it.  [In fact, the scheduling for the library is done primarily by
the administration in that we follow the daily schedule--as most libraries-- but
are limited in what we might be able to do before and after school because of other
activities imposed upon us.  This year we have a tutorial period before school
begins for our high school students.  It starts at 8:30 and goes until 9:30. The
students are not allowed in the buildings during this time, so the only place to go
is the library....  The first class period for high school students starts at 9:30
(and school ends at 3:30).  The problem is that the middle school starts at 8:30,
so we have students arriving between 7:30 - 8:00 a.m.---and by 9:30 we can have up
to 80+ students in the library. Our middle school students can't even come into the
library for a class because the T-period overlaps their regular class time (8:30 -
9:15).   It's crowd control with the high school students....everyone is talking
and no one is studying. Next year, the middle school teachers want to do the same
thing---create a tutorial period---which will create an influx of more students
without anywhere to go.  I'm afraid that the library will become a "holding cell"
for 100+ students and not be a library.  Yes, I inquired about the situation last
year before all of this was implemented this year...I was told that it wouldn't be
a problem.]

So, I guess my response to your question is....we are told to do something because
it is "good for the kids." (?)

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Trinity Valley School
Fort Worth, TX  76132
817-321-0100 ext. 410
briscos@trinityvalleyschool.org

"Those who have the highest expectations for the web in terms of student research,
are those who work
with it, and students, the least."  -- LM_NET librarian