Thank you to those that replied to my question about music encyclopedias.
Here are the results:

Tara Oldfield, SLIS graduate student
IUPUI, Indianapolis, IN
toldfiel@iupui.edu

1.      Gale's Online Product Catalog
*****************************

PRODUCTS:

Baker's Student Encyclopedia of Music

ISBN: 0-02-865315-7    Order #GIN11700-167137
Price: 340.00

In three richly illustrated volumes, over 25,000 entries open up a world of
musical culture, its terms, musicians, instruments, and genres, all in
language students will understand and enjoy reading. Entries cover popular,
jazz, and world as well as classical music, to include the artists and the
styles students want to know more about, from gamelan and Percy Grainger to
Max Roach, R.E.M. and Rachmaninoff.

The text maintains the eloquence and humor that have made Baker's the music
reference of choice for 100 years, while offering more concise entries
appropriate in tone and level for the student reader. Enhanced with over 250
illustrations, interesting facts and
timelines, Baker's Student Encyclopedia of Music provides readers of all ages
with an
easy-to-use reference guide to all things musical.

For pricing or more information about this product:
Call your Gale Representative: 1-800-877-4253
Send an e-mail: galeord@gale.com
Outside the U.S. and Canada:
Call: +1 248-699-4253
e-mail: international@gale.com

Visit: www.gale.com

2.      The series by Robert Venezia on composers is excellent. from Scholastic
Library Publishing (formerly Children's Press)  www.scholasticlibrary.com
<http://www.scholasticlibrary.com>

3.      I have some links on my website that we've used with 4th graders that
weren't
too bad:

http://www.nobl.k12.in.us/media/NorthMedia/STUDENT/specialareas/composers.htm

4.      Our fifth graders do a music style report every year and one of the
resources
that is the most helpful is The Story of Music an encyclopedia of I think 10
volumes by Grolier.