Good morning,

With the end of the semester near and summer beginning, I'm signing off
LM_NET to 1) grade papers, and 2) develop the Intro to American Indian
Studies course I'm teaching here in the Fall.

Some really good work is happening here at UIUC (in spite of the
"symbol"/mascot struggle). We are building our program and curriculum.
Across the country, American Indian Studies programs are invigorated to
develop programs BY American Indians and FOR American Indians. This is a
break from the traditional programs that studied us and gave us nothing in
return, oftentimes leaving/causing harm to our communities. In academic
institutions, we struggle against the Ivory Tower's approach that sees our
goals as PC, silly, anti-intellectual, etc.  Undaunted, we continue our work.

My work at UIUC is in representation, specifically in children's books and
the media.  My Native colleagues include Tony Clark, whose work is centered
on decolonization; LeAnne Howe, author of Shell Shaker and Evidence of Red
a newly released book of prose and poems; and James Treat, whose work is in
Native American Christianity. Non-Native faculty includes historian
Frederick E. Hoxie, author of the encyclopedia I recommended (and gave URL)
for last week; Robert Dale Parker, English professor and author of The
Invention of Native American Literature, and anthropologist Brenda Farnell
whose work is in language and dance.

If you know any students---especially American Indian students---interested
in studying in this model of American Indian Studies, please pass along my
name and email address (see signature line below).

One last resource before I sign off. The US Bureau of Indian Affairs is
charged with oversight for all-things-Indian. They used to have a website
that included a page listing names of all Federally Recognized tribal
entities. Due to trust litigation (for info, go to:
http://www.indiantrust.com/ and
http://www.ncai.org/data/docs/resolution/2002Annual/069%20_tabled,%20no%20sigs_.pdf),

the BIA pages are down. This happened several years back while the case is
being litigated. In the meantime, those looking for a list of tribes can go
to: <http://www.doi.gov/leaders.pdf>http://www.doi.gov/leaders.pdf. It
isn't a complete list (it is lacking the Alaskan tribes), but it is
complete for the contiguous states.

I am always willing to answer questions via email, so if you've got one,
don't hesitate to write to me.

Debbie

Debbie A. Reese, (Nambé Pueblo)
Assistant Professor, American Indian Studies
Native American House
Room 200, MC-139
1206 W. Nevada Street
Urbana, Illinois 61801