American and Michigan chillers are about the same reading level as Goosebumps.
They are very popular with my middle schoolers who are poor readers.  I also
have Goosebumps for the same reason.  I agree that the writing is marginal,
however they are READING! Get them reading and maybe you can turn them on to
better choices.  I was an avid Nancy Drew reader when I was young, and that can
hardly be considered great writing.

Mary Hendon, Librarian
Bunker Middle School
2312 Denmark