Hello everyone,

I am Muslim and have taught in an Islamic school.  At the Islamic school, we always
had the Qur'an on the top shelves, but that is because we follow the Shari'ah (path
of Islam -- often incorrectly translated as Islamic Law).  It is unrealistic and
against the principles of Islam to expect non-Muslims to follow the Shari'ah.

If we give out copies of the Qur'an to non-Muslims, we do not check up on them to
see if they are following all of our rules.  Islam is not to be imposed on anyone,
and the Qur'an itself says, There is no compulsion in religion.

What others have mentioned is also correct.  The Arabic Qur'an contains the sacred
word of God, whereas the translations in other languages only conain the
approximate meaning.  Therefore, only the Arabic text must be treated as sacred by
Muslims.

It is always nice when someone shows courtesy and respect to our way of life, but
we do not expect it.  If you were to give this courtesy (placing the book on the
top shelf) to one religion, you should probably do it for all of them.

I hope that helps a little.

Tavis Hampton

>>>Linda Lucke <llucke@D70.K12.IL.US> 05/02/05 8:16 am >>>

Heidi and others,

   This agrees with what my husband, who just spent time in the United Arab

Emirates, what told while there.  The Koran is only considered holy if it is

written in Arabic.  If it is a translation, it becomes just another book,

and can be treated as such.

                                                                   Linda L.

Linda Lucke

Learning Center Director

Butterfield School

Libertyville, IL

LLucke@d70.k12.il.us

Happy are those who have learned to laugh at themselves, for they shall

never lack for amusement!