I believe that Shonda's experiences this year (those who read her messages
regularly have known that her situation is appalling) can point the
direction for you here.

Al the time she has been "comparable to the office staff or cafeteria
workers, who interact with the students during the day but who do not have
direct impact on the curriculum," she has nevertheless kept those students
interests at heart and been professional, providing the services they
deserve, seeking extra information where necessary and so on, when the easy
road would have been to say "shove it."

Whether you look for another position or not (and actually get one) you
still have to work at the school for now and maybe some time in the future
so I would say to continue being professional.  Perhaps you could distribute
a flier asking those who want assistance with summer reading selection (and,
like David, I wonder about the value of these one-size-fits-all programs but
that's for another time) that you are more than willing to give it.  Or be
even more pro-active and use the list or the archives to find out what the
most commonly read titles are for each grade and send these to the faculty
sections.  Teachers will probably be very glad not to have to do the work of
selection and you raise both your personal and professional profiles and
maintain your dignity.

Meanwhile, privately, you might seek research that proves or disproves the
value of summer reading programs so that when parents or students ask about
the purpose and value, you can give them a copy of it, or whatever.

It is very difficult being perceived as a turkey when you have soared with
eagles, but see yourself as a role model for the turkeys, and maybe even
champion their cause.  If we didn't have turkeys what would we do for
Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners?  If we didn't have crooks, how many
policemen (and television crews) would be out of a job?  It's all about
perception, and for your mental health you cannot take on board the
perceptions of those people whose opinions you do not value.

Good luck
Barbara

Barbara  Braxton
Teacher-Librarian