After school today, one of my science teachers came in and requested
information regarding cumulative science portfolios that follow students  throughout
middle school.  In our case, this includes grades 5-8.  The  benefits of
having a cumulative science portfolio for each student would be  tremendous,
especially in terms of assessing student progress from grade level  to grade level.
However, the teacher is concerned about the amount of time  it would take to
organize and maintain these each year.

 I shared information with her regarding different possibilities -  large
portfolio print folders, electronic folders saved to the school's  server, or
even online sites that would allow parents to access this information  through a
password in order to help monitor their child's progress.

We would correspond with middle schools who have cumulative science
portfolios that follow students from grade level to grade level as they progress
through the system.  If your middle school does this, please e-mail me  directly
at my home e-mail address listed below.  We would appreciate  seeing actual
examples and knowing how much time it takes to maintain them per  year.  Thanks
for your help.

Deborah Maehs, LMS
Kingfisher Middle School LMC
600 South 9th Street