Apparently our school's attorney attended the same seminar on copyright
that your attorney attended.

The "fair use" guidelines that our school's attorney uses to brush away
copyright issues / questions is that we are a "non-profit" organization
and "not making a profit" from the use and re-distribution of music,
videos, photographs, etc.....but many times these points do not include
the other fair-use guidelines / exemptions which are: face-to-face
instruction; classroom setting; lesson at that point in time; etc.
Often they are extra-curricular activities that involve the change or
manipulation of another person's work without their permission for use
in: school publications such as newspapers, public relations DVDs that
include music taken from major artists' works (The Beatles, for
example,--I often wonder if Michael Jackson, who owns the rights to the
Beatles' music, might need additional funding at this point in
time?...)and other things that are not directly related to education of
students within a classroom setting.  In addition, many times, these
productions / publications do not even "cite" the artists or sources
used within the productions that are being distributed to various
individuals both on and off our campus.

However, our school's attorney states that we are within our rights to
do this because we aren't making any profit from any of these
items...and we are a non-profit, educational institution.

I disagree....

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX