Some of you asked for a hit on these subjects, so here is a sampling of replies
from different schools across the country. Usually, schools abide by the state law
which seems to be "no cell phone use."  Maybe our students are not the norm, but
they don't seem to have any control when it comes to cell phones. Maybe they get
that from the rest of society.  There really isn't anyone I want to talk to in the
grocery store, the car, the classroom, the church, the airport, the restroom,
etc. and et al.  Thanks for the replies.
George Anne Draper, librarian
Wynne High School, Wynne, AR
gdraper@wynne.k12.ar.us

Students are allowed to have cell phones at our school, but they are to
keep them put away and are not allowed to use them.  We have a few
problems but not much.

As for IDS--that is our big problem.  We tried lanyards.  Students
chewed on the ids, played with the lanyards, etc.  This year we have
used the clip on with the plastic and that is much better.  Still have
lots of problems with the students wearing them, ruining them, and
losing them.  They have to have one to check out materials in the media
center so most of them try to at least keep up with them.  They have 2
printed at the beginning of the year and after that they have to
purchase them for $5.  It has been hit and miss on how students are
disciplined for NOT wearing them.
*------------
Students may use their cell phones before and after school.  If they are caught
using them during school, the adult
take the phone away and gives it to the Dean of Students.  The parent of the
student has to come to school to retrieve the
cell phone.
*----------
We are a 7-8 school with 700 students.  Our policy is no cell phone use from
the time the first bell ring until school lets out in the afternoon.  Any
cell phone seen during "school time" (even if passing between classes or at
lunch) will be confiscated and turned in to the office.  The owner picks up
the phone after school.  The second time a phone is confiscated, a call is
made to the parent, who must pick up the phone.
*---------
Our school forbids cell phone at school.  Student who "forget" must turn them in to
the office until the end of the day.  If they are caught, it is a 3-day suspension.
*---------
I am at a jr. high and we address both in our student handbook.
1.  Any student who fails to wear their ID badge will be assigned to
three (3) days of detention hall.
(GeorgeAnne, our d. hall meets during the last 15 min. of lunch.)
2.  Cell Phone - addressed twice in handbook
Possession of Paging device, etc. by Students
Law regarding this is stated; however, our secretary just told me that
someone told her it was now no longer illegal for students to have them
on school campuses.  Am not sure about all this!  Then we have this
following the printed law:
"Students may have cellular phones after school hours.  Phones taken to
school must be placed in the Principal's office during the school day
and may be picked up after school or when the student leaves for an
extracurricular trip."
Under our "Hall Conduct" information, there are SEVERAL issues
addressed and this is one of them:
"7. Leave hand-held electronic games, pagers, and portable phones off
campus."
This is stated in the Student Handbook, on the school's web site, and
listed at the top of  EVERY  Daily Announcement.  There are Discipline
Guidelines and / or suspension that may be issued if students do not
observe these rules.  Hope this is helpful.  Thanks so much.
*----------
"Cell phones, radios, walkmans, pagers, laser pens, etc. are not
permitted and should be stored in their locker all day.  If not stored,
they may be confiscated.  In addition, chains, pins, or any item that
does not serve an educational purpose is not permitted."

Staff, administrators, and two resource officers do take up cell phones
from students.  They usually receive a warning the first time, and then
the following incidents result in Saturday School.   Also, when the
phones are turned into the Administration, the student may have the
phone returned when a parent is present.

Our students are issued IDs, but they do not have to wear them.  It is
rare if they have to show them to someone on the staff.  Hope this is
helpful.  Thanks again.
*------------
Our cellphone policy is -- NO Cellphones. If  we see or hear one - even
vibrating - the phone is taken and the parent must retrieve it from the
office. First offense is $5.00; 2nd offense is $10.00. We just collected our
first !0 dollars  this morning - all monies go to the Missions. This policy
does not apply to after school when students are allowed to call home for
rides, or notification of detention, etc.

We don't have an ID policy - wish we did.

--
At the h.s. my daughter attended, they were not
allowed to have cell phones. This meant, in practice,
that some kids did use them when necessary but totally
kept them hidden. For example, when my daughter went
out of town to a tennis or track team event, she would
take a phone to school only on that day and use it on
the bus on the way back, late at night,  to call and
tell me when to pick her up. She did not use the phone
at all during the school day and only a use like hers
was condoned by faculty and staff. No students used
the phones routinely during the school day. If they
had been using them during class etc. they would have
been confiscated.
The key seems to be consistent enforcement. Officially, we prohibit cell
phones during the school day (defined as the time when the student
arrives at school to the time that student leaves school grounds).
Teachers have been told to take any cell phones they see to the office.
If a student really needs to use the cell phone that can be done in the
office area WITH  PERMISSION OF THE PRINCIPAL. Should a student need to
be able to receive a call the parent must clear that with the principal
in advance (a note of explanation is the best).