Sorry for the delay in posting information I received on information
literacy -- school break!

Here's the original query:

Good morning....

I work in a high school of 1,200 students that has students entering
from two different middle schools.  Lately, I've noticed that
information/library/research skills are really lacking in my student
population.  I do not believe that there are any research skills being
taught at the elementary or middle school levels.  I wish to develop
some sort of program here.

My question is:  do any of you do any testing or assessment of
information literacy skills in your students?  Perhaps entering
freshmen?  I would like to somehow assess the gaps in their skills in
order to create some sort of freshman orientation/instruction program.
Does anyone do an online/computer based orientation or instruction
program?

Are there any "lists" of skills that students should have for entering
high school?  I've searched the archives a little.

Thank you for any help -

Lesley Cass
ConVal Regional High School Library
Peterborough NH 03458

Information I received (plus many, many requests to forward to people
with similar problems!)

Do you ever have meetings for all the librarians in your district?  And
is there a K-12
curriculum?

There are five schools each with a librarian in my district. We meet
four times a year and
together we developed a curriculum.

We each know what is being taught at each level.

A group like ours might help your situation.

Of course, it does not address those who come from the parochial school
or kids who transfer
in. The high school librarian goes over library skills in an orientation
during English
classes. Further instruction is given as projects come up in the various
classes on a needs
basis.

--------------

I'm so glad to know about someone else who is concerned about this
situation.  I have been
collecting sites which I will send you, although I'm sure you will be
hearing from those who
have actually put up these sites & have a program in operation.  I would
love to hear when you
have gathered all your info & decided what type of program you will work
on.  I'm hoping to
have something in place for next school year.

         http://www.isd77.k12.mn.us/resources/infocurr/infolit.html

http://www.accessola.com/action/positions/info_studies/html/toc.html

        http://www.accessola.com/action/positions/info_studies/
--------------------

Go to
http://www.shambles.net/informationliteracy/
and click on the section
"Info Literacy and Assessment"

You'll find several options there.

---------------------------

Would you post a hit. I will begin teaching a middle school research
class next fall and this information would be really helpful.

At the moment, I plan on focusing the students on how to use print
resources (dictionaries, thesarous, encyclopedias &
almanacs) as well as how evaluate the sources. Then I will move to
Internet resources. I also plan on units on copyright and
plagiarism.
--------------------------------
Lesley, do all the librarians in your district ever meet? This seems
like a
really good topic for a day of collaborative curriculum mapping, using
the
curriculum standards and Information Power.

Thanks for all the responses/information -- there certainly are many of
us in the same position!

Lesley Cass
ConVal High School
Peterborough NH 03458