From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Anne Busch
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 11:08 AM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Target: 813 or Fiction?

Dear LM_NETters,

   I am interested in knowing if anyone out there uses 813 for the call
number instead of FIC for fiction books. As I order more fiction these days,
I notice that some vendors are using 813 with some novels, but not with
others. Anybody know why? Is this a trend? Is it just different catalogers'
preferences? I know that Dewey used 813 to designate fiction, but it has
been the practice, as far as I know, to use the FIC consistently in most
libraries that I have used (not including those that use the LC system, of
course). Has anyone rearranged the collection using 813? There is some
discussion of this in archives, but I wondered if there's something afoot
here that I am unaware of in cataloging land. Just wondering. Thanks.

Anne Busch
Librarian
Pleasant Hill High School
Pleasant Hill, MO 64080
abusch@pleasanthillschools.com

It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it. Aristotle