Hi, this was sent to me by one of my SUNY
Plattsburgh's Feinberg Library colleagues, Nancy
Hoshlyk

It's rather thought-provoking, Sara Johns

* * * * * * * *

The Future of Libraries: Beginning the Great
Transformation

By Thomas Frey, Executive Director of the DaVinci
Institute

summary:

The top trends affecting libraries, and four
suggestions on
what to do
In the report The Future of Libraries: Beginning the
Great
Transformation, the DaVinci Institute, a nonprofit
futurist
think tank, has put together 10 key trends that are
affecting the development of the next generation
library.
They are:

Time compression is changing the lifestyle of library
users
Libraries are transitioning from a center of
information to
a center of culture
We are transitioning from a product-based to an
experience-
based economy
The stage is being set for a new era of global systems

The demand for global information is growing
exponentially
Over time, we will be transitioning to a verbal
society
Search technology will become increasingly more
complicated
We haven’t yet reached the ultimate small particle for

storage, but will soon
All technology ends and all technologies commonly used

today will be replaced by something new
Communication systems are continually changing the way

people access information

Their recommendations:

Evaluate the library experience
Preserve the memories of your own communities
Embrace new information technologies
Experiment with creative spaces so the future role of
the
library can define itself

the complete version of this article is available at:

http://www.davinciinstitute.com/page.php?ID=120

Lake Placid Middle/Senior HS LMC
34 School Street
Lake Placid, NY 12946
518-523-2474, ext. 4132
FAX: 518-523-4861
johns@northnet.org
SaraKJohns@aol.com

"Information is the currency of democracy." -- Thomas Jefferson