I have a parent looking for a book he read as a child.  I told him that if anyone
could identify it, this wonderful group could.  Here is his description of the book:

 I read the book when I was in elementary school so that had to be before 1983.
The plot of the book surrounded a teacher in an elementary school. It was her first
year teaching at the school.  I can't remember if something happened to the
previous teacher and they had to fill the slot quickly or what but for some reason
nobody knew much about the new teacher's background.

    It seems like the teacher was portrayed as an intelligent but mysterious
person.  She worked some meditation into her class schedule that involved a
procedure that seemed more closely related to hypnosis.  She would slowly work the
kids inher class through the following process:

Lay down flat on your back in a comfortable position.
Let your eyes lose focus.
Your eyelids are heavy.
Your eyes are closed and relaxed.
Your head is heavy.
Your shoulders are heavy.
Arms... Torso... Legs... Feet.

    Then the students were sleeping/meditating/hypnotised.  That was the great
part; the book never explicitly stated which is was.

    Through the course of the book, the other teachers get suspicious.  They check
up on her background.  It seems like the police got involved at the very end of the
book.  At different places in the book, the teacher said some things (I got the
impression that they accidentally slipped out) that led the reader toward some kind
of alien (from outer space as opposed to
Mexico) involvement.

    It seems like the book ended with the police coming to track the teacher down
to question her about something.  I don't think the book said exactly what it was
but it was hinted that it was pretty bad.  So the teacher took the students out to
a field where she led them through the "meditation" ceremony again.  When the
police arrived the teacher and the students were gone but there was some kind of
physical evidence left behind.  I don't remember exactly what it was.

Thank you for your help!

Janet Saczawa
librarian
Creekside Elementary